STUDYING IN THE USA! WHEN, WHAT AND WHY?

Some days ago I started getting ready for one of the many adventures in my life. I did not know what I was expecting, which challenges...


Some days ago I started getting ready for one of the many adventures in my life. I did not know what I was expecting, which challenges I would face, but I just let things happen and tried to not make a big storm about it.
In the last month I had been too busy with my exams and that did not let me get too excited about my trip. My last exam was on the 27th of June and I was supposed to travel in the 29th, which only gave me one day to pack. Although, the US Embassy was having some problems and I could not get my visa in time, so in the last minute I discovered that I had to go to the US on the 1st of July.

I received a Fulbright Scholarship and I am going to spend 5 weeks in the USA, the first ones will be at Kansas State. During those weeks I will be at a Summer Institute for European Student Leaders studying Environmental Stewardship. All the costs of this scholarship are covered by the U.S. Department of State.

Há alguns dias atrás comecei a preparar-me para uma de muitas aventuras, que vou enfrentar nesta vida. Sem qualquer ideia do que me esperava ou do que teria que enfrentar, deixei que os momentos apenas fluíssem. 
No mês passado, o meu tempo foi maioritariamente ocupado por sessões intermináveis de estudo e avaliações, o que não me permitiu ter muito tempo disponível para me entusiasmar o suficiente com a viagem. O meu último exame acabou no dia 27 de Junho à tarde, sendo que a viagem estava marcada para o dia 29. O que me deixava apenas um dia para fazer as malas. Porém, a embaixada dos Estados Unidos tinha outros planos definidos para mim e devido a problemas esta apresentava no seu sistema, o meu visto não pode ser emitido a tempo.  Assim, a minha viagem foi adiada e no último minuto preparei tudo para embarcar para os Estados Unidos, no dia 1 de Julho.


Recebi uma bolsa de estudos Fulbright e passarei as próximas 5 semanas, nos EUA. As primeiras serão no Estado do Kansas. Durante estas semanas estarei num Instituto de Verão para Estudantes Lideres Europeus, a estudar Administração Ambiental. Todos os custos desta bolsa são totalmente suportados pelo Departamento de Estado dos Estados Unidos.



WHY I AM HERE?WHAT WENT THROUGH MY HEAD WHEN

 I DECIDED TO APPLY?



Lisbon Airport, Portugal

Life is not meant to be lived in a single place. I was struggling with this thought for a long time. I did not feel like myself sometimes, because I was tied in the same city for a long time and my life was becoming unsatisfying monotonous.
I wanted to try something new. I wanted to do something good and useful for myself and for others.
I did not think twice when I received an e-mail from my university announcing that the applications for a Fulbright Scholarship were open. I started immediately filling the application in. I had help from the bests! From my Cambridge School teacher, Robert Plews, who is also a columnist at 6N1K and from my favourite teachers at ISCTE Business School: Graça Trindade, whose husband also received a Fulbright PhD Scholarship previously (this was something I discovered after applying). And Fernando Ferreira who has a vast working experience in the USA.

Não estamos destinados a viver para sempre no mesmo lugar. Há um bom tempo que lutava contra este pensamento. Estando "amarrada" à mesma cidade há imenso tempo, a minha vida rendeu-se a uma certa monotonia insatisfatória.
Saciava por experimentar algo novo. Algo que me beneficiasse não apenas a mim, como também à minha comunidade.

Não pensei duas vezes quando recebi um e-mail da minha faculdade a anunciar a abertura das candidaturas para uma bolsa Fulbright. Comecei imediatamente a preencher a minha candidatura e tive a ajuda dos melhores! Do meu professor da Cambridge School, Robert Plews, que também é cronista no 6N1K e dos meus professores favoritos na ISCTE Business School: Graça Trindade, cujo marido no passado também recebeu uma bolsa Fulbright para PhD (facto que vim a descobrir mais tarde) e Fernando Ferreira, que tem uma vasta experiência laboral nos EUA.



INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE

Dallas Airport, Texas State


I believe it was William Fulbright who said that international education it’s our best opportunity to turn ideologies into human aspirations.
Right now I desired for a better world and an improved me!

Creio que foi William Fulbright quem afirmou que a educação internacional é a nossa melhor oportunidade de convertermos ideologias em aspirações humanas.
Neste momento, aspiro por um mundo melhor e um "Eu" melhorado!


 

WHY ENVIRONMENT




I am interested in different subjects. And environment is one of them. As a future economist and citizen, environment causes is a topic that I should be aware of. As Malthus said: “population tends to grow exponentially” (and that’s true) but resources don’t. Resources are finite. And society despite of anguish over population problems, we are trying to find solutions without abdicate of any of the privileges we enjoy right now. We think that, for example: "farming the seas will end up with overpopulation problems" and by that: any action isn’t needed at all, because the problem will solve itself. That’s not true. All the actions are needed, even the smaller ones.

In my Economics studies, we talk about externalities, especially about a negative externality called pollution. And one reality is that, nowadays, it is still cheaper for the polluters to keep polluting than to reduce polluters from their industry and diminish the pollution levels. And as population becomes denser, simple and common solution as recycling at home becomes overloaded.

When I was younger, sometimes, I had nightmares about the consequences of our actions have at environment.  We have been destroying the quality of living even that sometimes it is unconsciously. But the truth is that we contributed for the environment degradation, and what now? We need faster and efficient solutions and we need it not tomorrow, but today!

Os meus interesses estão dispartidos em diferentes assuntos, sendo que o Ambiente é um deles. Como futura economista e cidadã, as causas ambientas são um assunto do qual devo estar informada. Como Malthus afirmava "a população tem uma tendência de crescimento exponencial", enquanto os recursos são finitos (o que é completamente verdade!).

Apesar dos cidadãos ficarem angustiados com os desafios populacionais, não são tomadas quaisquer ações. Tentam-se resolver problemas, sem eu seja necessário abdicar das regalias que beneficiamos atualmente. Pensa-se que cultivar os mares irá terminar com a fome no mundo e com isso, quase todos os braços permanecem cruzados. Este pensamento e atitude não podiam estar mais errados! Todas as ações são necessárias, mesmo as mais pequenas fazem a diferença.

No meu curso de economia, falamos muito sobre externalidades. Sobretudo, sobre uma em particular. Ela é negativa e nada de bom se extrai dela: a poluição. A realidade é que, hoje em dia continua a ser barato para as entidades poluidoras permanecerem a poluir, em vez de reduzirem as quantidades de poluentes na indústria e diminuir os níveis e poluição. Ao ritmo que a população o tornar-se mais densa, medidas simples e comuns, como reciclar, deixam de ser eficientes. 

Quando era pequena, às vezes pensar sobre o facto de que estamos a destruir (mesmo que inconscientemente) a qualidade de vida  dos nossos contemporâneos e descontentes dava-me pesadelos. 
A verdade é que, estamos a contribuir para a degradação ambiental. E agora?! Precisamos de soluções rápidas e eficientes. Este trabalho não deve de ser adiado para amanhã! Mas sim adietado para hoje!


Kisses,
Em





You Might Also Like

0 comments

PLAYING

UA-88256336-1